Wednesday, September 07, 2005

Neck of an Hourglass

In the Gospels Jesus is asked 183 questions directly or indirectly. Of these, he directly answers three! Jesus’ idea of church is not about giving people answers but, in fact, leading them into liminal and dark space, where they will long and yearn for God, for wisdom and for their own souls.


As long as I'm not writing anything but software, I may as well pass along something interesting and readable.

The above quote is from Forty Years in a Narrow Space, by Len Hjalmarson. I originally found this piece with a little help from Grumblefish.

1 comment:

K-Rewx said...

I like it. For some reason we seem to assume that we are to have answers. But as Edgar Lee Masters reminds us: "We are voiceless in the presence of realities." (from Silence).
As I recall, the Almighty One's only answers to Job were actually questions.