Saturday, April 09, 2005

Hello, Sailor!

Matthew's meatspace Coordinates: (-99.76,32.39)

Welcome to Abilene, Texas!

Yes, Abilene is my own personal node in meatspace. Home to three Christian universities and a dozen dozen churches, it's the brainpan of the Bible belt. Smack-dab in the middle of West Texas, Abilene has no native trees but Mesquites. And a few really tall prickly pear cacti.

I mention this not to dog on Abilene, but to give my rants and ramblings a little context. If my Republicans seem a little like caricatures, it's because I live in a city of caricatures. Half the people drive pickup trucks and the other half drive SUVs. Every other vehicle has a "Bush/Cheney" sticker on its rear window. And as you might expect, it is illegal for a Democrat to own a ball-peen hammer.

Hails a lot, though.

I wonder if a Hummer fits into the average West Texas garage.

For college, I attended the university affiliated with the Church of Christ, a Christian denomination particularly prone to caricature. I also grew up in this tradition, and truth be told I like it pretty well. The Church of Christ has its shortcomings, but it’s going through some changes, I don’t figure it sucks any worse than any other denomination.

Hm. I keep typing “demon-ination” instead of “denom-ination”.

I wonder what Freud would say about that.

No comments: