Wednesday, February 21, 2007

Question #4: Zephyrs

Anyone remember the name of that church song with the line about the "gentle zephyrs"?

Definitive Answer: As expected, my mom and dad figured it out.

The song is Beulah Land. Interestingly enough, in our old songbook the first line was changed to "I've reached the land of love divine".


Beulah Land by Edgar P. Stites

I’ve reached the land of corn and wine,
And all its riches freely mine;
Here shines undimmed one blissful day,
For all my night has passed away.

    * Refrain:
    O Beulah Land, sweet Beulah Land,
    As on thy highest mount I stand,
    I look away across the sea,
    Where mansions are prepared for me,
    And view the shining glory shore,
    My heav’n, my home forevermore!

My Savior comes and walks with me,
And sweet communion here have we;
He gently leads me by His hand,
For this is Heaven’s borderland.

A sweet perfume upon the breeze,
Is borne from ever vernal trees,
And flow’rs that never fading grow
Where streams of life forever flow.

The zephyrs seem to float to me,
Sweet sounds of Heaven’s melody,
As angels with the white-robed throng
Join in the sweet redemption song.

3 comments:

Unknown said...

You know, some days it does seem as though the zephyrs are floating to me...

SteveA said...

Nowadays the words of that song sound kind of silly. We never use Beulah in real life. Maybe poets and classical scholars use zephyrs. I still lead it once in a while though. For comfort and nostalgia probably. My 7th and 8th grade math teacher was named Beulah and she was great. If not for her my life's path might have been different.

scoots said...

That song uses word with a nice sound to them –– I don't think I've sung it before, but I enjoyed reading it.

Thumbs up on quoting song lyrics.